Saturday, May 26, 2007

Still

As soon as I parked, I recognized how still the water was at the swamp...barely moving at all. What grabbed my attention most was the reflection in the water...the brilliant and nearly unflawed reflection of the many hues of green from the trees with the clarity of the branches, and the blue sky.

Aside from the dust that was settled on the surface of the water...on the surface of the reflection, the reflection was almost like the real thing.

Lately I've been struggling with some anxiety and stress, knowing that it is not at all good for me! It occurred to me, with the water's reflection, that I reflect God best when I'm still. I may be spending time with Him, which is crucial to reflecting Him, but if I'm filled with anxiety and stress and fear, I won't reflect Him. Instead, I'll appear like the water on a windy day, and others will only see waves of turmoil and discord.

He reminds me to 'come to Him' and leave my burdens with Him. Matthew 11:28 says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." When I go to Him, I need to leave my stuff with Him, trusting that He can take care of my stuff. Only then can I be still and reflect Him well.

No comments: