Monday, November 5, 2007

A Lesson From Garfield

Why do we pray?

I mean, what are our motives behind praying? I think one reason we pray is because we want life to work. Our tendency is...
-if someone's sick, we pray they'll get better.
-if your car breaks down, you pray it will work.
-if I don't have money to pay my bills, I pray for money.

That's all fine...and it's good in the sense that God tells us to pray for what we need (Php. 4.6) and to cast our cares on Him (Ps. 55). He, too, cares about these things. I'm wondering, though, if our tendency to pray for health, wealth, comfort and ease is because that's where we find LIFE.

He, Himself, reminds us that He is the Life, not our circumstances. He certainly cares about our circumstances, but for now, the higher priority is character above circumstances and trials. He'll use the circumstances and trials to develop godly character in us and beautify us.
Evil is fighting for our hearts, and with our sinful nature, we will naturally gravitate toward the evil.

But God is passionate about our beauty. He's still creating beauty, and He will turn our ashes into beauty (Is. 61). Of course, we have to hand over our ashes....

Where I find life will be evident in my prayers. Will I trust that He has life for me? If I'm seeking life in Christ alone, certainly I will take my needs, cares and concerns to Him, and my prayers will sound more like Jesus' prayers:

“My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done” (Matt. 26.42).

"Give us today the food we need, and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us. And don’t let us yield to temptation, but rescue us from the evil one" (Matt. 6.11-13).

I know I cannot find LIFE apart from Him...so I run to Him asking Him to be the One to fill me...regardless of my circumstances.

In the words of an animated, self-absorbed cat, I began my prayer time with God today:

"Love me; feed me; never leave me." --Garfield.

No comments: