Saturday, October 11, 2008

My 60-second Backyard Airport

This morning a little bird--not sure what kind it actually is--was pecking at the wood siding on my house and woke me up. I tried opening the window and tapping on the screen to scare it away, but to no avail. So I finally got dressed (intending to go outside to scare it away), but by then the tapping was gone. I stood by my bed looking out the window and waiting to hear it again, but what happened next was a wild sight.

Within about 30 seconds, my backyard had become an airport landing strip for everything in the area flying below 500 feet. Several arriving flights every second. By the end of the 30 seconds, I could see as much black on the ground as I could green in the grass. Then for the next 30 seconds, it was all departing flights...several every second. And my backyard was, just as quickly, completely green again.

Now, you're probably waiting for my typical spiritual application here. Ha! Well, I could, but my mind is at rest...and I don't want to wake it up...it doesn't rest like this very often. So for now, I will rest in the beauty, the fascination and the mystery of God and the flight of His creation.

No comments: