Saturday, September 3, 2011

God's Guidance

Six days ago, I sent this to just a few close friends who knew about our search for a canine companion. Just reading this again tonight was a good reminder for me, so I decided I would share it here on my blog as well...

In Larry Crabb’s blog*, he recently said that he got in the mail “…Dr. James Houston’s most recent book, in pre-published manuscript form. The title drew me to know that Aslan was moving ahead of me, guiding my search….”

Wow. I’m not facing cancer like Larry is. I’m just lamenting at the deferred hope of getting what I thought was the pet/companion I’ve desired since I was 16 and had to give away my best friend, my German Shepherd, Shadow. I was not looking to replace her; just to enjoy the beautiful companionship that a German Shepherd is capable of and provide a companion for Adam as well…not to mention the benefit it could be to our whole family. We’ve been searching on and off for almost two years, and then while the search was “off”, an amazing opportunity dropped in our laps. It seemed nearly perfect; much more than I had anticipated. And an hour before we were to pick him up, his owner decided it would be best to give him to someone else. I was crushed.

“…to know that Aslan was moving ahead of me, guiding my search” stood out as I began reading Larry’s blog. I love the reassurance God provides that He is working! Not necessarily to give us everything we’re searching for, but to go ahead of us in our search to give us what is best. Maybe His guiding my search may lead me to just the right dog for us; or His guidance may direct me elsewhere where something even more significant awaits. What I do know is that I can rest peacefully in hope as I look ahead to “Sunday” even while I’m experiencing “Friday.”

Larry talked about the crucifixion being on Friday. The disciples were confused; they thought He was ‘The One’ they were waiting for, and then He died. Their hope was suddenly deferred and their hearts were sick. When Sunday came, confusion still lingered when His body came up missing. But when Truth and the big picture were finally revealed on Sunday, they were filled with joy and praise.

Larry said, “And yet the more I focus on Sunday’s resurrection, the more surprised I am by the joy and the adventure of hope that lies deep in my center, and by the privilege God has given to me to reveal Him in hard times. I’m discovering that is in my center as well. …. Friday’s fact impacts me. I wish it were different. But Sunday’s truth lifts me into the heavens. And heaven is working backward.”

The pain involved in the events of “Friday” hurts, but knowing that transformation, resurrection and hope follow after Friday, my heart becomes lighter…and I’m able to delight in a God who is “moving ahead of me….” And not just moving ahead, but moving ahead of ME.

I’m looking at what God has done in Allison’s life just in the past few days…how she was totally opposed to all dogs and in the last few days has become pretty relaxed about the idea of actually getting a dog (a big one at that)…and it only cost me a door knob with a lock and a Butterfinger. :) And Adam. He told me, “[This dog] should be ours.” I told him about how I was restless last night and was praying that God would make it very clear whether or not this was the dog for us. Then I told him, “I guess it doesn’t get any clearer than that!” We talked about how God has used this process to bring about some really good things, and, as we continue to pray, He’ll do what’s best and maybe bring us something even better. He hugged me with compassion and told me he’s sorry we didn’t get the dog, and I hugged him and told him I’m sorry he doesn’t get a running partner ...yet. :/ He smiled.

And regardless of “what” lies ahead for me, even better, I know HE lies ahead for me.


*For Larry Crabb’s full blog: http://newwayministries.org/blog/

No comments: