Monday, June 11, 2007

Late for church!

My husband, Dave, and I are implementing a Bible reading plan for our family. The kids decided on which book of the Bible to start with: the book of Mark. So, each day (6 days a week) we read the passage on the schedule and then usually discuss it at dinner.

On our way to church Sunday morning, we discussed the Mark 7 passage (we missed discussing it the night before). But I was frustrated! I had gotten up in just enough time to get MYSELF ready to go. When I was ready, I went to find everyone else. No one else was ready, or even moving in the right direction. That's when the frustration hit.

Eventually we got on our way...right on schedule to arrive 15 minutes late. I could feel the battle within me...that battle between knowing the best thing would be to be at peace and the anger that no one else seems to care about being on time.

Mark 7 was about "Inner purity." The Pharisees were upset that Jesus' disciples didn't strickly adhere to the Jewish ritual of hand washing before eating. Jesus' reply began in verse 6: "'You hypocrites! Isaiah was prophesying about you when he said, "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far away...." For you ignore God's specific laws and substitute your own traditions.'"

Ouch. It struck right at my heart. Just like hand washing before eating is a good practice, so is getting to church on time. But when the ritual/activity becomes more important than having a heart/attitude that honors God in the moment (wherever I am, on time or late), I dishonor God.

My worship time that morning was humbling...and good...filled with repentance and gratitude for His grace and forgiveness. It was perfectly fitting when we sang, "I'm coming back to the heart of worship. It's all about You, Jesus."

No comments: