Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Could I possibly be wrong???

Someone told me a while back, "You always think you're right, and you justify yourself." And then, not long ago, one of my kids said the same thing to me. My reaction to that is, "If I thought what I was doing was wrong, I wouldn't do it." So of course I'll think I'm right...and I can justify why I believe what I'm doing is right.

But I think there's a reason the comment is still resonating in my mind...and that more than one person said it.... I guess if someone (and esp if more than one person) is confronting me about something, I suppose it's possible, in my limited perspective, that I could be missing something.
I'm seeing that I need to be open to the possibility that my perspective could be distorted.

Paul (Saul at the time) was passionate about the things he was doing in the name of God and convinced that his actions were right. It didn't occur to him that anything was wrong in his actions until God blinded him and confronted him about "persecuting" God Himself. (Acts 9)

When his distorted perspective was revealed and healed, he didn't run away from the Truth or continue to justify himself. Instead, Saul was changed (even his name was changed to Paul) and he went forward with the same passion, but a new perspective, having had his eyes opened to the Truth.

I'm now praying for the courage to be wrong...and to acknowledge it and move forward in Truth.

No comments: