Sunday, July 29, 2007

Being Incarnational

The other day I was at a relative's house enjoying some quality outdoor time, much like how I grew up out in the country. I sat peacefully by the pond for a while, shot some baskets with others, played with the puppies and cats, shot a couple different .22 rifles at targets, .... It was great! Someone commented on how I seemed so relaxed in that environment...I was in my element.

I've been connecting with that lifestyle so much more recently that sometimes it hurts to not have it...for me and for the kids.

A couple days later, it was my night out. I drove down some roads scoping out potential lots similar to how I grew up. I wondered where my discontent was coming from...flesh or spirit.

I picked up a Mocha Frappuccino from my favorite coffee shop and was en route to a nearby park to read when I inadvertently passed the driveway to the park. As I prepared to turn around, the Huron River came to mind, and I was drawn to go explore it in the direction I was driving.

When I got close to the river, wherever I found a place to park along the river, there were already people there, so I continued on...looking for a less-busy place. I drove around a curve and noticed my old college dorm. Immediately, a whole slew of thoughts flashed through my mind, but the predominant train of thought was that (23 years ago) I had left the open country space of where I grew up, and I packed myself into a small, confining dorm room. It reminded me of what Jesus did by becoming incarnate...leaving the expansiveness of heaven and cramming himself (God of the universe) into the confining space of a woman's womb for nine months. And after that, living confined to his earthly mission for 33 years, knowing one day he would be free again in the expanse of heaven.

I'm not sure yet what all this is communicating to me, but my initial thought is that I'm longing for heaven, and one day I'll have it. But for now, my mission is to be incarnational, embodying the Spirit of Christ, while submitting to the confines presented by the goal of reaching the lost, loving others and laying down my life...ultimately loving God through my flesh. It's often painful, disappointing and sometimes even leaves me feeling trapped. But the Apostle Paul said he "learned the secret of being content in any and every situation" (Philippians 4.12). And Jesus himself told us that this world would bring us trouble, trials and sorrows, and will not satisfy us, but ultimately, it will be okay (John 16.33). When his Spirit lives in us, we have the only component for peace. And when we have that component for peace, believing by faith that God is caring for us, then we can live incarnationally in a disruptive world.

No comments: