Saturday, July 14, 2007

Spiritual Gifts

I've been thinking a lot about "mission" lately. One area in particular relates to spiritual gifts. As I was reading the book of Mark, I was noticing that (although He undoubtedly could have) Jesus didn't often seem to display a wide range of spiritual gifts. We don't see Him, in Scripture (as far as I can tell), focused in areas such as singing with the music team, playing the lyre, preparing budgets and helping to build houses for Habitat For Humanity (although he was a carpenter by trade). Instead, he certainly taught often (and was often referred to as Teacher). But what stands out to me is that He focused much on healing. People were constantly coming to Him to be healed.

I have not noticed a gift of healing in myself, but I did do a couple online spiritual gifts assessments to understand better where God might have me focus in His unique work for me.

When it comes to our gifts, sometimes others may be something of a devil's advocate. Sometimes we are to ourselves. There have been others who have condemned me in my gifts, and there have been times when I've been blind to or critical of the gift and condemned myself. But God has gifted me uniquely so that I can be a blessing to Him and to others. Here are some thoughts I had that are challenging me:

"God says to me, 'I have called you and equipped you to display the gifts of ____________.'"
"What do others others say about you?"
"What do you say about yourself?"
"Who will you choose to believe?"

No comments: