Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Detox for Intimacy with God

I went to the park this morning to be with God (undistracted, alone and quiet)...something I've neglected for the most part this summer. I got absorbed into the routine of having the kids home for the summer and didn't prioritize regular, quality time with God. I would say that this summer I experienced God, for the most part, as an acquaintance...lacking depth and intimacy. And because of it, I was recognizing hungers developing in me...not necessarily for Him, but because I need Him.

Beth Moore has said, "3 months outside the Word is roughly 2 1/2 months inside a pit." I get that. For me personally, I need an ongoing dialogue with God to stay out of the pit. Although I certainly didn't completely forsake time with Him this summer, it was seldom intimate time. It was more like the kind of relationship you develop when you run into your neighbor each week at the grocery store. It lacks depth, so although I wasn't inside that pit, sometimes I was holding on for dear life at the top edge while my feet dangled over the edge and against the wall of the pit. Not the most enjoyable place to be.

So this morning, knowing I needed to re-connect with Him, I wanted it quickly, just like much of the rest of my life tends to be...getting things accomplished as quickly as possible. But...
GOD IS NOT GOD ON OUR TERMS!
God becomes just another god when we come to Him on our terms.

I couldn't just grab a quick fix like I would at the McDonald's drive-thru. He wants my heart so that He can give me His...so that He can be all that I need.

I recognized my need for DETOX time from all the burdens, trials, concerns, accusations, struggles, etc. that had been building or been heaped on me all summer. I could see that in order to connect well with Him, I needed to DETOX:

  • Deliberate - sit quietly in His presence
  • Explore what's on your mind and in your heart (needs, burdens, joys, weariness, ...)
  • Tell Him about each thing that comes to mind
  • Overrule the burdens by leaving them in His presence (Matthew 11.28)
  • eXpress to Him your gratitude for taking on your burdens (Philippians 4.6)

When I give up my weariness for Him to carry, then I'll finally be able to start hearing Him again and it will build deeper intimacy in our relationship.

So now as I'm detoxing and feeling so much freer, I sense a renewed life coming on. It's wonderful. I highly recommend this detox program!!

:)

No comments: